Arashiyama (嵐山) is located in the western part of Kyoto, tucked along the base of the Arashiyama Mountains or Storm Mountains.
It has a long and honorable history dating back to the Heian Period (794-1185), when nobles would enjoy its natural setting. It is home to beautiful temples and probably the most beautiful villa in Japan.
But the highlight of the area, a particularly enchanting experience, is the famous Bamboo Forest, an incredibly atmospheric grove of bamboo.
Reaching up to 25 meters, and with a diameter up to 25 cm, the slender trunks have foliage at the very top which causes the bamboo to clack into each other with the slightest breeze.
Also, known for its magnificent scenic view, the iconic Togetsukyo Bridge built in 836, crosses the Katsura River.
It’s called the “Moon-Crossing Bridge” by the Emperor Kameyama, who witnessed a luminous moon rising above the upper reaches of the river, appearing as though the moon itself was crossing the bridge.
The Hozu river cruising, can also be organized. It is very popular for its 16km downstream cruise where you can enjoy the beauty of nature from the ravine throughout the four seasons.
Rates (group of up to six (6) guests)
- 1/2 day 4 hours Private Experience: JPY30,000
- If only 1 guest or + 6 guests, contact us for an estimate
Terms of payment
- 25% deposit paid upon booking
- Balance paid 35 days before departure
- Hotel pick up
- English speaking local guide
- Your guide’s transportation
- Your transportation (~JPY1,000/pers.)
- Activity and entrance fee
- Please be reminded to wear comfortable shoes
- Tour can also be done by traditional rickshaw
- In the unplanned event of using taxis instead of public transportation, extra fees may apply