Takayama (高山市) is a well-preserved historical city in the heart of the Japanese Alps.
It developed as a castle town during the Sengoku period (Warring States) and during the Edo period, the area was under the direct control of the Tokugawa shogunate.
As a former castle town and the largest population centre of the old Hida Province, Takayama is frequently referred to as Hida Takayama (飛騨高山).
Takayama is also known as “Little Kyoto” thanks to its striking similarities with the former Imperial capital. Everything, from the attractions to the way the city is organized reminds of Kyoto.
The old houses of Takayama’s Sanmachi district east reflects Kyoto’s Gion district. The temples and shrines are concentrated on the Higashiyama (Eastern Hills), just like in Kyoto, and using the same name for the area.
Consider visiting during the Takayama Festival, held in spring and autumn and considered one of Japan’s best festivals.
Rates (group of up to six (6) guests)
- 08 hours Private Experience: JPY45,000
- + 6 guests, contact us for an estimate
Terms of payment
- 25% deposit paid upon booking
- Balance paid 35 days before departure
- Hotel or station pick up
- English speaking local guide
- Your guide’s transportation
- Food and drink costs – Please pay for the guide’s lunch
- Your transportation (~JPY4,000/day/pers.)
- Activity and entrance fee
- Please be reminded to wear comfortable shoes
- This tour can also be done with private car
- In the unplanned event of using taxis instead of public transportation, extra fees may apply
- Remember that the price of the tour is the same for your entire group (from 1 up to 6 guests) – We don’t charge per person