With this Yanaka Old Tokyo Tour discover a shitamachi (下町) which was originally an area of the Edo period where the common people lived.
The word shitamachi is composed of the word shita meaning “down” and machi meaning “town,” and one can often see it translated into English literally as “downtown”.
Affectionately known as YaNeSen (Yanaka-Nezu-Sendagi), the area was miraculously spared the destruction of the Great Kanto Earthquake in 1923 and the carnage of the bombings in WW2, which explain why it has managed to retain the tranquillity and charm of an old town.
You will first enjoy a stroll through Ueno Park, a French-style modern park filled with cherry trees, numerous Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples. The park was established in 1873 on lands formerly belonging to the temple of Kanei-ji.
Then with a Tea Master, you will enjoy a modernized Japanese ceremonial tea service of matcha green tea and Japanese confectionery – and choose antique cup to drink with.
You will definitely encounter retro scenes of Tokyo where visitors can experience the atmosphere of an unspoiled, traditional urban quarter.
This is Japan, away from buildings and shopping malls. Dive in the heart of the Edo era…
- 4 hours Private Experience: From JPY28,000 for 1 guest. (JPY8,000 for each additional guest) – 2 pers. minimum
- 0 – 5 years old (free)
- If only 1 guest or + 6 guests, contact us for an estimate
Terms of payment
- 25% deposit paid upon booking
- Balance paid 35 days before departure
- Ueno Station pick up
- English speaking local guide
- Your guide’s transportation
- Tea ceremony and confectionery
- Transportation (avg. JPY1,000/pers.)
- Extra food and drink costs
- Please be reminded to wear comfortable shoes
- This tour can also be done with private car
- In the unplanned event of using taxis instead of public transportation, extra fees may apply