With this Yanaka Old Tokyo Tour discover a shitamachi (下町) which was originally an area of the Edo period where the common people lived. The word shitamachi is composed of the word shita meaning “down” and machi meaning “town,” and one can often see it translated into English literally as “downtown“.
Affectionately known as YaNeSen (Yanaka-Nezu-Sendagi), the area was miraculously spared the destruction of the Great Kanto Earthquake in 1923 and the carnage of the bombings in WW2, which explain why it has managed to retain the tranquillity and charm of an old town.
After strolling in Ueno Park, a French-style modern park filled with cherry trees, numerous Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples, with a Tea Master you will enjoy a modernized Japanese ceremonial tea service of matcha green tea and Japanese confectionery – and choose antique cup to drink with.
You will definitely encounter retro scenes of Tokyo where visitors can experience the atmosphere of an unspoiled, traditional urban quarter.
Yanaka Cemetery / Tennoji Temple / Yanaka Ginza Shopping Street / The Backstreets / Yanaka Earthen Wall / Nezu Shrine
- 4 hours Private Experience: From JPY21.000 for 1 guest. (JPY5.000 for each additional guest).
- 0 – 5 years old (free) and 6 – 14 years old (–50%).
- Ueno Station pick up.
- Tea ceremony and confectionery.
- Bottled Water.
- Extra food and drink costs.
- In the unplanned event of using taxis instead of public transportation, extra fees may apply.